So here is my promised “stuff” count…just a few weeks late. Meh, who’s telling time?
My guesstimate was around 200-ish items. Which all considering, is a pretty low number already in my opinion. Considering all that I’ve gotten rid of and sold off the last year- that’s crazy less than what I’ve called my own in the past.
Total Tally? 193.
Not shabby in the stuff department. Then why do I still feel so…weighed down by it?
I know when I last posted my official commitment to the 100 Thing Challenge it sparked some ponderings on our Facebook page. Is the overall, complete objective to say “ta-da! I did it- I own 100 things! I can sacrifice and still stay alive!” ??? Since I’m just recently stepping up to the plate to kick this project off, I don’t have too many musings on what to feel or expect yet. The only thing that I believe is, it’s not really about the number. At least not 100. It’s finding your number, which, let’s get deep…is more about finding you…your happiness…your spot. Let’s leave it there. I can’t speak before I experience. Who knows, maybe my number is 192, what will be the one thing to go?! (My bet would be on Burger, dog-man chewed up Elmo today. There were tears… Rowe cried a little too).
I’m not going to give the full list of each item I own yet, but I am going to explain how I am breaking it down in categories, and the few things I am and am not including the final hurrah. My general rule is the items I consider a necessity are not going to be included as “stuff” items, and in certain situations some items as a bunch will count as one.
- Clothes: clothing, shoes, coats, scarves, handbags, ect. I think this is the area where I still have plenty of room to scale back.
- Kitchen Items: Includes things like Tupperware, mixing bowls, pots and pans. Basic utensils will be included as one (probably a set of 2 knives, 4 forks, 4 spoons=1). I’m not including the fridge, convection oven, or tiny stove top. We won’t have a microwave.
- Pillows, blankets, towels, linens (I may bundle these items up a bit- such as a full bedset of sheets, pillows, and covers considered as one).
- Personal belongings and products: Such as jewelry, makeup, hair things, hygiene things. Luckily, I own very little makeup- the beauty show (if there ever was one, ha) ended when the kid showed up, and have significantly cut back on jewelry and such.
- Mementos, pictures, albums, decorations.
- Books …even though I swear there are not many left!L I also need to reorganize and reprioritize a lot of my “office” items; notebooks, folders, ect.
- Electronics: TV, computer, ipod (although I’ve had that iPod since 2005, so it might end its own life before I do anyways)
- The unexpected items I’m including? Credit cards and bank accounts. Which currently are about ten-ish total, not including the other ten random cards in my wallet. Part of my personal challenge to myself is to shed my financial “stuff”, too.
Items I consider essential are my car, phone, and refrigerator. I’ll go out on a limb and guess many “minimalist” would challenge me saying a car and phone are not necessities in the least. I might have been able to agree pre-baby, but now with having a child the phone and car are non-negotiable in case of an emergency. The fridge? The amount of leftovers we live off around here would be much less appetizing without a place to keep them fresh.
I think my plan of action is to attack one category of stuff at a time, and maybe bite off one or two objects a week. Just call me Stuffzilla. I’ll be keeping a regular update so you can see what I’m ditching and keeping, a button on the sidebar will be added soon.
Now I’m curious, what do you think your number is? I know that’s like the deceiving “how many skittles are in the jar” game at a baby shower, but take a stab at it. I’m expecting some big numbers to pop up (in the thousands maybe?)….yes, really. It’s surprising how fast the count gets high. If I still had a regular one bedroom furnished+decorated apartment, I’d easily hit in the mid to high hundreds. So imagine if you have a 2,000 square foot, 4 bedroom home? Wow-za.
THE GIVEAWAY: a copy of The 100 Thing Challenge! Totally shocked, right? I figured it would be fitting since this is going to be a journey shared around here for a while.
TO WIN: Comment below with you answer to the above question…that’s it! Comments close Sunday night (the 18th) at midnight.
*NOTE*You must subscribe to Treading Tiny’s blog in order to participate & find out who won (Look in the right sidebar column to sign up). Last time getting a hold of people via Facebook did not go grandly…so I’m hoping this makes it easier for me to hunt you down.
Comments won’t show up until they have been approved… so don’t fret if you don’t see yours right away! ***If you DON”T see your within 24 hours, please contact me to make sure my spam eater didn’t spit your comment out***
WINNER: Is….Meghan! Thank you all so much for your replies, I’m so inspired by each and every one of you. Stick around for more giveaways soon!